Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Featured Artist - Donna Conklin

Todays featured artist is Donna Conklin. I'm really finding these mini interviews fun, it's greta to find out more about these artists.

How long have you been working in your medium?

I started sewing as soon as I could reach the foot pedal to the sewing machine. The needle felting started in 2008.

My grandmother taught me how to sew, crochet, counted cross stitch, and was probably the first to introduce me to seed beads… I have a mild obsession with seed beads on hanks.

What drew you to this medium?

My grandmother was a seamstress/quilter/crafter so I learned to sew from her. So I wasn’t actually drawn to it, it was just a natural thing to do. It was a way to spend time with my grandmother.

I’ve always loved fibers and when I found out about needle felting at a show I was doing a couple of years ago I had to teach myself as soon as possible, like right then, at that show.

What is your favorite thing about your art?

It’s different than what I usually do, which is make beads… and I just love to make something that was just a big sheet of fabric or a bundle of fiber before I got my hands on it.

What's your favorite piece?

Probably the first one I made, I think it’s a sentimental attachment. It has a lot of “me” in it. I think I would even buy it if I saw it for sale somewhere. I like it that much.

What's the hardest piece you've ever made?

The first one! I made it from muslin first to make sure I had a good pattern to work from. I think it took me 11 hours start to finish, now they take just a few hours to make.

Who or what inspires you?

The fabrics. I love quirky and funky. I usually by them from people on Etsy… they come in coordinated bundles. J

What's your favorite inspirational saying?

“Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today.” ~James Dean

What's one thing you've never done you always wanted to do?

I’d love to be able to speak confidently in front of a group of people without the shaky voice and feeling inadequate and embarrassed. Maybe to even teach some of the things I know how to do to a group without losing my voice from nerves.

No comments: