Tuesday, October 26, 2010


Featured artist - Julie Sigmund from Jewlie Beads, Mount Olive, NC

Julie is a very talented artist, one of my favorites. She's a skilled tutorial writer as well! I wown a couple pair of her earrings and they are by far my favorite pieces of jewelry. Perfect wire wrapping and unique styles make them eye catchers whenever I wear them!
Just look at these.


How long have you been working in your medium?
I've been wire wrapping and lampworking just over 4 years now.

What drew you to this medium?
I had started lampworking first and I had a small handful of beads that I was proud of at the time. I had several pieces in different jewelry magazines that were put together using wire and that's when I created my first piece. I've been hooked ever since!

What is your favorite thing about your art?
Wire wrapping is full of surprises and I love surprises! I may have one idea in mind and end up with something totally different than expected when I'm finished.

What's your favorite piece?
I have many favorites and it's hard to pick out just one or two.

What's the hardest piece you've ever made?
My "Dragonfly Pendant"! I love dragonflies and I was determined to make a pendant with a dragonfly in my design. It took me several weeks to come up with a design that would work and lots of wasted wire before my pendant was complete. I still find poor little wire wrapped dragonflies in my scrap wire box that didn't make it. LOL!

What's the one favorite tool you cannot live without?
My "Hot Head" torch! I use my torch all the time when I'm creating something new. I fuse, lampwork and soften heavy gauge wire with it and I don't think I could live without it!

What's your favorite thing about your workspace or studio?
My favorite thing about my workspace is that it's at my home! I can work anytime of day or night and I love that.
I'm in the process of having a new studio in my husband's large shop. It will still be at my home, but away from all the distractions that my current space has and it will have more space for me to be more organized. I'm totally excited!

Who or what inspires you?
I find inspiration all over! I get inspiration from other artists, my natural surroundings, colors or patterns on fabrics, but one of my favorites is finding inspiration while walking my dogs. I'm fortunate to be surrounded by beautiful woods and lots of nature!

What's your favorite inspirational saying?
If you can dream it, you can do it. Walt Disney.

What's one thing you've never done you always wanted to do?
I would love to travel the world!

1 comment:

Jewlie Beads said...

Thank you so much Nicole for featuring me! Your new blog looks great!